Reba’s blood levels seemed pretty steady on Thursday. Today the home nurse came and drew blood. The results showed that Reba’s hemoglobin is 6.4 and platelets at about 30. Both are very low, but the Stanford doctors told us that transfusions can wait until morning, so we’ll be at Stanford early.
Reba has been practicing her crawl this past week and she has unfortunately started to get pretty good at it right when her platelet count is low enough to cause bruising. Hopefully after her blood transfusion and platelet infusion in the morning she will be right back at it.
After the infusions, she has a radioactive iodine injection scheduled at 2pm. This is the tracer that will allow the doctors to visualize the vitality of the tumor from the MIBG scan.
The MIBG scan is scheduled for Wednesday. This will mean she will be under general anesthesia, and the MRI couldn’t be scheduled on the same day.
On Thursday, Reba will have her MRI scan, which will show the size of the tumor. Again, she will be under general anesthesia.
The results from the scans will be reviewed by the oncology team and by Thursday, July 9, they should be able to tell us if Reba can stop chemo or whether more may be necessary. This is going to be a very important couple of weeks.
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.